Etihad Airways is a flag carrier and the second largest airline if United Emirates. Its head office is in Khalifa City, Abu Dhabi near Abu Dhabi International Airport. The airline was established by Royal Decree in July 2003. It commenced operations in November 2003 and has developed into one of the fastest growing airlines in the history of commercial aviation.
Etihad Airways seeks to reflect the best of Arabian hospitality as well enhance the prestige of Abu Dhabi as a centre of hospitality between East and West.
The airline has received a range of awards that reflect their position as one of the world’s leading premium airline brands, including “World’s Leading Airline” at the World Travel Awards for five consecutive years.
The airline operates over 1,000 flights per week to over 120 destinations in the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia, Australia and the Americas.
According to Etihad Airways, the baggage allowances for passengers travelling to and from South Africa are as follows:
- Economy Class: Breaking deals and Saver Fare – Passengers are allowed one bag of 23kg
- Economy Class: Value and Freedom Fare – Passengers are allowed two bags of 23kg each
- Business Class: All Fare Choices – Passengers are allowed two bags of 32kg each
- First Class: All Fare Choices – Passengers are allowed two bags of 32kg each
The hand luggage (carry-on) allowances to all destinations are as follows:
- Economy Class – Passengers are allowed one bag of 7kg
- Business Class – Passengers are allowed two bags of 12kg in total
- First Class – Passengers are allowed two bags of 12kg in total
- Infants – Passengers are allowed one bag of 5kg
Check-in opens 4 hours prior to the scheduled departure time. Check-in for Economy class closes 60 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time and check-in for Business Class closes 45 minutes prior to scheduled departure time.