Flights to Bloemfontein
Flights to Bloemfontein is the best and most convenient way to travel to the capital of the Free State province of South Africa.
The following airlines offer Flights to Bloemfontein from South Africa’s largest city, Johannesburg:
- South African Airways
- British Airways
The duration of Flights to Bloemfontein from Johannesburg are approximately 1 hour. Most of the flights between these two destinations are non-stop flights but there are also flight options that offer one or two stops between Johannesburg and Bloemfontein.
Interesting facts about Bloemfontein:
- The name Bloemfontein means “fountain of flowers” in Dutch. The city was founded in 1846 as a fort by an English army major.
- Bloemfontein is known was the “city of roses” due to the fact of all the roses in the city. Roses are so special in Bloemfontein that the city hold an annual rose festival.
- A railway that connects Bloemfontein and Cape Town was built in 1890.
- The largest fire service museum in South Africa is situated at the Ehrlich Park fire station in Bloemfontein.
- Following the Battle of Paardeberg during the Anglo-Boer War, which occurred in 1900, the British armies captured the city and built a concentration camp nearby to house Boer women and children. Today the National Women’s Memorial on the outskirts of Bloemfontein pays homage to those that died in the concentration camps during the war in South Africa.
- The city’s Sesotho name is “Mangaung” which means “place of cheetahs”.
- The Grey College School is the third oldest school in South Africa and the oldest school situated north of the Orange River in Bloemfontein.
- The population of Bloemfontein today consists of approximately 370,000 people.
- Bloemfontein is the judicial capital of South Africa.
Book your Flights to Bloemfontein now with Cheap Flights To by clicking on the link above and experience the beautiful city that is Bloemfontein!